Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Initial Interview

I saw an ad in Craigslist for an open call.  In my experience working in restaurants and bars open calls can be a nightmare or they can be more advantageous.  It can be a nightmare if it’s a specific time slot on one specific day because it’s very likely 500 people can show up and you have to wait around forever. 

Open calls can work to your advantage because you know they are definitely hiring.  It’s always frustrating spending 10 minutes on an application only to have the manager say they aren’t hiring now but will keep  your application on file blah blah blah then put it on the stack of 50+ applications they have.  This way you always get a chance to meet the manager and do an interview.  Usually the interview won’t be that long because they don’t have time with the amount of people they see. 

The interview was held outside of the Tilted Kilt because the pub was still under construction.  I still find it funny they call it a pub because I see it as any other chain American restaurant.  I only say that because I’ve actually been to pubs in Ireland and the UK and the Tilted Kilt is nothing close even though they try to make it like they are.  The manager named Theresa had a little table outside and it had a huge stack of applications.  I’m always wary of restaurants that are still under construction because they never ever open when they say they will.  There are too many problems that can arise with construction, permits, etc.

A very tall blond skinny girl was filling out an application and we engaged in a little small talk.  It’s always best to be friendly and talkative to the other applicants because you never know who is watching.  I once had a friend who got cut from a flight attendant interview process because she made a phone call during the break instead of engaging and talking with the other applicants even thought it was their break and they weren’t expected to stay there. 

The blond girl started her interview and changed into a more obnoxious girl laughing and talking really loud.  I think it was just an act because when I was talking to her earlier she seemed more chill.  Theresa just asked her about her previous job.  She had worked at a bikini store before which seemed like perfect TK material.  Theresa told her about a fitting to attend Saturday so I knew that she was doing scheduling for second interviews on the spot.


My interview wasn’t really much of anything.  I have a feeling when you open a restaurant you can never do a proper interview because there are too many people to interview.   Usually they’ll go by first impressions and gut feelings.   She asked me about my previous job and the only real question she did ask was what would I do if I saw a fellow server give away a free drink.  That was it then she asked me to come in Saturday for a fitting.  Awesome  I hope I get this job!


No comments:

Post a Comment