Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Tilted Kilt test

The last day of training was the dreaded test.  I know a lot of girls skipped classes that day to study for it.  

It wasn’t hard like Calculus hard but there was a ton of information to remember.  The menu itself was very extensive but we also had to know all the drinks and the table numbers.  I just made flashcards and studied everything.  The test didn’t have as
many questions as I thought it would but I’m glad I studied so hard because we could have been tested on anything.  Theresa said she’d call people later that night if they didn’t pass and they would have to retake it again.

Overall I though the week of training went smoothly.  It was broken down and very cultivated and organized.  I think the company takes a lot of pride in their brand and try to make their food as good as possible.  Some people think that places like the Tilted Kilt are simple to get hired and work at or might think it’s some stupid job until you find something better.  I feel it was actually a much harder job than I imagined.  Not only did you have to memorize an extensive menu and do everything a regular server would do but you also had to think of creative ways to entertain your guests and find time to sit down with each table while juggling your other tables.  In addition you needed to do all this while making sure your hair and makeup constantly looked like you were about to go on TV.  To top it off you had to constantly be in check on your weight because if you gained any weight you might run the risk of not fitting in your costume.   

A lot of people say shit about the sluttiness of the costume.  I don’t see how it’s different from what girls wear on Halloween or costume parties.  I’ve seen much skankier outfits at sorority theme parties.  This job is perfect for those who like to dress up on Halloween.  It’s Halloween every day at work or in the Tilted Kilt’s case it’s Saint Patrick’s Day every day!  If you think of it when you are in costume it makes work fun and helps you get into character.  Some might say it’s degrading but not everyone is degraded the same way.  Some girls thrive on being the center of attention and being able to engage with people while at work. 
Those types might feel more degraded as a person having to sit in a quiet office filing all day with no one to talk to.  I know breastaruants like Tilted Kilt and Hooters pride themselves on hiring lots of different types of girls however I really think the girls are all the same in the sense that they are all very social and like getting attention.  I don’t think a girl would enjoy or survive in a place like this if she weren’t some sort of attention ham.  You know the type, they have a different selfie each day or post about every little thing she does on Facebook or Twitter.

I have a newfound respect for the people that work in these types of restaurants.  You really do it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment