Monday, August 11, 2014

Cut

We were in our line to be inspected by the managers for uniform check when Theresa said she wanted to talk to me in the office.  I went into the office and Theresa got straight to the point and said I was cut.  WTF?  At that point I was almost relieved because it was getting to be too much with school and I knew it would be a long time if ever that I’d start making money here.  Still WTF?  Theresa left the office for something and left it for Vivian to explain.  Vivian said it was nothing personal but they needed to do more cuts and that Theresa chose me.  It’s funny how people will say it’s not personal but it actually really is.  Kind of like someone breaking up with you and saying ‘it’s not you it’s me’ when everyone knows it’s actually you.

She bent over backwards trying be nice and saying that I was smart and cool but they were making cuts as to who fit their brand the best.  I asked her if she could be more specific.  Vivian said that basically I did not fit the image enough.  She alluded to the fact that I wasn’t as flirty as they wanted people to be.  She even did a motion with her hair like an airheaded girl would do flipping her hair.  She said I wasn’t enough like that.  I know what she meant.  It was a compliment really.   I know my strengths and weakness and yeah I definitely don’t act like an airhead.  I also wouldn’t consider my colleagues to be airheads either but then I realized their ability to act like one and be one are two totally different things.

I was cool with Vivian, I like her a lot and I understand she was put in a difficult situation and I thought it was really unprofessional of Theresa to have someone else do her job for her.  That was really her responsibility.  I don’t know how many other people they are cutting but I realized that the last couple of days they’d call people to the office. I never thought too much of it because it was during uniform checks and I wasn’t really paying any attention but now I realize that’s probably what they were doing. 

I actually thought that they were through making cuts.  The first day they cut girls based on a uniform fitting and what corporate thought so I thought I had seen the worst of it.  After all that training and being on the floor some girls quit on their own accord for various reasons so I thought they’d keep who they had left.  I didn’t seem to make sense to cut people now after they had lasted this long.

I believe the real reason was that they over hired way too many people and didn’t know what to do so the easiest thing for them was to just cut people because the restaurant wasn’t bringing in enough money to warrant having that many people on payroll.

I had expected to work here for a few months and I was let down that it couldn’t be longer but it’s okay I’m actually really fine with it.  I will miss the other servers though. 













No comments:

Post a Comment