Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Epilogue

It took awhile to get my check.  I learned later that if you are ever let go from a job by state law the employer is supposed to give it to you right then and there or by the next day at the latest.  I never got my
check, so I had to call them a few times to follow up.  The holdup was because they somehow didn't have my address.  Since I filled out all of the paperwork at orientation this shouldn’t have been a problem at all.  In fact I don’t even know why they’d be the ones mailing anything, corporate should have handled all of that. In addition if they didn’t have my address they should have contacted me for it instead of me having to track them down.  It was very frustrating but I didn’t even get mad because it didn’t surprise me at all.   I could only laugh at how incompetent this particular branch of the Tilted Kilt operated. 

It’s been a couple of years since I left.  For awhile I stayed in touch with some of the girls but being busy with school and other activities can cause anyone to drift.  I’m still friends with everyone on Facebook and can see what people are up to.

Avery still works there as far as I can see. She tried out for the calendar again the next year and I made sure to vote for her.  Avery is someone I can see working her way up the corporate ladder at the Tilted Kilt.  I wouldn’t put it past her to do that and be very successful there kind of like that lady on Undercover Boss
who was a Hooters girl before working her way up to corporate then leaving to become the CEO of Cinnabon.

Vivian left soon after me.  I saw on her Facebook that she was a server at some other restaurant.  You don’t leave a management position to be a server unless you don’t like where you work.  I’m pretty sure Vivian must have had some sort of falling out with Theresa; they weren’t even Facebook friends anymore. 

Kayla was cut a month or so after I left.  I couldn’t believe they’d be doing cuts that late in the game.  She had trouble getting her check as well and actually thought they might not give it to her. 
Katie got a job at a fancy smancy swank restaurant downtown.  The menu prices are very high; she probably makes a lot of money. 

I’m not sure if Shelia got cut or quit but she left soon after and became a flight attendant which actually seems
like it might be similar to working at the Tilted Kilt but with better perks.

I saw Christy in a tabloid magazine because she was dating some famous athlete.  In it I read that she was a model in Los Angeles.  That doesn’t surprise me, she really was that stunning. Good for her that she left to pursue her dream.

Leanne in the course of the year moved to a different state, got married, and had a kid.

Tara worked got promoted to a bartender but soon left when a bartending job opened up at her favorite club downtown.

Cindy still works there and is now a bartender.  Actually all of the girls that stayed there eventually became bartenders; it’s just the next step up.

Belinda not surprisingly got picked as the calendar girl.  On the restaurant’s Facebook page they made such a big deal about her and constantly posted how she’d be working that night and to come in to get a signed calendar from her.  They really milked it as much as they could.

Alexi continued to post pictures of themselves all the time on their Facebook. 

I had a fun and interesting time at the Tilted Kilt.  I think a lot of people would like working here but I also think just as many would hate it here.  It really comes down to personality type and prior job experience.  I think TK is perfect for girls 18-21 who don’t pay rent yet and don’t have any or enough serving experience to get hired anywhere else.  It’s a good starter job.

My likes and dislikes could have been completely different had I worked in a different location, with different management, or at a time when it wasn’t a restaurant opening.  From my personal experience I’d say I didn’t like the whole system of sitting down and talking to random tables constantly.  I always thought that was weird and uncomfortable.  I’m a very outgoing person and don’t have trouble taking to people but just to plop myself there and start talking was very annoying and always frustrated me because I knew I wasn’t getting tips from that table.  I think that has more to do with having too many servers on and I doubt it’s still like that there but while I was there it was my biggest dislike.  I also wasn’t cool with the entire picture taking which I did not anticipate I’d have a problem with because I’ve always loved taking pictures.  I think I just don’t want my photo out there on cyberspace branding me as a Kilt Girl forever and ever.  I also don’t want to be expected to kiss a guy on the cheek so he can take a photo like I witnessed with Lindsey.  That’s just me, I think a lot of people are okay with that but when I was there I wasn’t feeling it. 

I liked the people I worked with a lot.  I was worried about girls being mean, competitive, or catty but I didn’t really see that.  I actually kinda liked wearing the uniform.  It felt fun and festive like I was forever at some costume party.  I never had a problem with the uniform and pervy guys but I feel that if I had worked there longer it would have been something inevitable. 


All in all I’m glad I worked there it was an experience.


2 comments:

  1. I just started working here and I'm having really hard time and I'm studying my but off for this test but the manager I deal with is all types of rude and it frustrates me that I've been getting yelled at all the time and I've been here a few days! N I love to serve folks and make them happy that's what really bugs me because I'm not here for the cute out fits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started working here and I'm having really hard time and I'm studying my but off for this test but the manager I deal with is all types of rude and it frustrates me that I've been getting yelled at all the time and I've been here a few days! N I love to serve folks and make them happy that's what really bugs me because I'm not here for the cute out fits

    ReplyDelete