Thursday, August 7, 2014

UFC Fight Night


Tonight was the UFC fight.   I’m not a boxing or sports fan at all but I’m sure I’ll learn a lot working here.  I got here at 8pm because that’s when our shift started which normally would be incredibly late but our Tilted Kilt closes at 2am.  This particular Tilted Kilt is trying to be a bar at night and pretty soon we are going to start having bands perform.  I can understand the weekend but closing at 2am on the weekdays seems rather ambitious.  I looked at our website and the latest any of the other Tilted Kilts close is at 12 and that’s only on the weekend. 

So at 8 we did that whole switchover thing.  I took over from Leanne who was a little bummed because she had a big party and you could tell she had already done a lot of work for them.  What can you do that was just the system they had.  I thought since it was the UFC fight it would be crazy busy but it wasn’t.  No one ordered food just drinks and pretty much everyone left when it was over.  Tonight there were still some servers that I’d never seen before.  I think it might take weeks to memorize everyone’s name. The big party handed over from Leanne was a big group of young professionals equal girls and guys.  I noticed subtle lingering glances from some of the girls in the party.  It wasn’t bitchy but definitely sizing me up.  I guess it’s female human nature.  Vivian’s husband came in with his friend.  He said that since the opening he hardly ever saw Vivian so this was his time to hang out with her even though she was working.  Vivian and her husband were so cool, they were just chill and down to earth.  They had been together for years and I still couldn’t believe Vivian had 2 tween girls.  She looked so young. After them I had one more table and that was it for the night.

All my tables left after the fight so I really didn’t have anything to do.   I hung out in Lindsey’s section for awhile where there was a big group of work colleagues.  One of them had Lindsey kiss his colleague on the cheek and he took a photo and said that this would have to go up in their break room.  As a Tilted Kilt Girl you really need to ham it up with the photographs.  The whole reasoning behind looking ‘camera ready’ doesn’t just apply to being an ‘entertainer’ but it really means that at any time you could be in a photo.  I knew being in photos was part of the job but I never imagined the extent of how much they really played a part.  You spend just as much time taking photos here with each other or the guests than you do running food, taking orders, side work, etc.  I think that is sort of hard this day in age where everything can be posted on the internet.  I think many girls don’t mind wearing the uniform and taking a photo but some don’t necessarily want their photo floating around cyberspace for years to come.   

I know a couple of girls that actually got different Facebook accounts just for the Tilted Kilt because they had been tagged in some photos in uniform and conservative relatives or whoever got mad so they wanted their Facebook separate.   I think you actually signed something saying you are an entertainer and are okay with posing for photos and their distribution. 

When I was doing my side work Katie the girl who got the extensions for the photo shoot said she might quit because of this. She said she loved working there and liked all of the other girls but said she didn’t want her photo all over the place, she was going to law school next year and eventually planned to be a judge and said the last thing she’d want anyone to do would be to pull up an old Tilted Kilt photo which she believed it could ultimately undermine her authority as a judge. 

I made about $60 tonight which wasn’t bad however it was mostly from Leanne’s table.  After they left the restaurant was dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment